What do you think is needed more in Vietnam to encourage more people to contribute in open source or Hackathon?

Hi

My name is Chris Shayan. I have been in Vietnam less than 2 years and currently working with VietnamWorks and recently founded two startups called TechLooper.com and theLeader.io

I decided to launch TechLooper.com completely open source on GitHub. My idea was try to create some fun environment for engineers in Vietnam, I have been always trying to do that for instance in my team I have implemented Unlimited Annual Leave, MisFit shine for everyone, Innovation Time Off and several other things.

On TechLooper.com we have also launched several contests which the latest one a hackathon that winner team will win $10,000. We are doing all these activities in order to foster creativity and some sort of innovation among Vietnam IT folks.

What do you think is needed more in Vietnam to help this vision? Also how can we encourage more people to contribute in open source or hackathons?

17 Likes

Great idea, I knew TechLooper before, but I never knew it is an open source project.

I’ve heard about this challenge :+1: The good thing is it is not a 1 or 2 days Hackathon which is bad for programmers.

http://techlooper.com/#/challenge-detail/job-search-innovation-hackathon-1439866071515-id

We, daynhauhoc, are also keen to work on open source projects. I think there are many of us who wanted to contribute to Open Source projects. The only problem I could see right now is that nobody knows how to start to contribute to a Open Source project.

• The young developers don’t know git and github. I always encourage more and more DayNhauHoc members to learn git and github :smile:

• The enthusiastic developers don’t know which projects are welcome for pull requests. I hope TechLooper will be the first project where DNH’s members can contribute to.

8 Likes

yes let’s do it :smile:

4 Likes

How can we encourage more people to contribute in open source?
Lauching contests with the prize for the winner is seemed a good idea at all
but, to get more attention from young Vietnamese’ developer is not simple like that
…the level of the contests shoud be start from medium to hard

I think we should start several meetup groups/basic training courses from the 3 regions of Vietnam (about the contests, english, git/github and so on…).
.Take a survey to know what they want/need/interested in?

P/s: the biggest problem is in their english speaking skills :smile:

you can design a survey. I can send it to some of VietnamWorks users, what do you think?

We are also going to launch a feature on TechLooper.com that allows users to launch a Google Hangout and TechLooper will invite users to join to it by accessing VietnamWorks users and TechLooper users.

kkk. I have no experience in this field. But some of users here-they can do this.

P/s: i think Google Hangout is not as popular as Skype/Facebook…in Vietnam

we wanna do like video conference that is why we considering google hangout.

3 Likes

I agree, video conference is better.

Facebook :-1:
Skype is good for group of 5 people or less.

4 Likes

we launched the events, you can now post online events: http://techlooper.com/#/events

5 Likes
83% thành viên diễn đàn không hỏi bài tập, còn bạn thì sao?