Read "Clean Code" everyday

What is clean code?

Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++ and author of The C++ Programming Language

I like my code to be elegant and efficient. The logic should be straightforward to make it hard for bugs to hide, the dependencies minimal to ease maintenance, error handling complete according to an articulated strategy, and performance close to optimal so as not to tempt people to make the code messy with unprincipled optimizations. Clean code does one thing well.

Grady Booch, author of Object Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications

Clean code is simple and direct. Clean code reads like well-written prose. Clean code never obscures the designer’s intent but rather is full of crisp abstractions and straightforward lines of control.

“Big” Dave Thomas, founder of OTI, godfather of the Eclipse strategy

Clean code can be read, and enhanced by a developer other than its original author. It has unit and acceptance tests. It has meaningful names. It provides one way rather than many ways for doing one thing. It has minimal dependencies, which are explicitly defined, and provides a clear and minimal API. Code should be literate since depending on the language, not all necessary information can be expressed clearly in code alone.

Ron Jeffries, author of Extreme Programming Installed
and Extreme Programming Adventures in C#

In recent years I begin, and nearly end, with Beck’s
rules of simple code. In priority order, simple code:
• Runs all the tests;
• Contains no duplication;
• Expresses all the design ideas that are in the
system;
• Minimizes the number of entities such as classes,
methods, functions, and the like.

13 Likes

Meaningful Names

• Use Intention-Revealing Names

It is easy to say that names should reveal intent. What we want to impress upon you is that
we are serious about this. Choosing good names takes time but saves more than it takes.
So take care with your names and change them when you find better ones. Everyone who
reads your code (including you) will be happier if you do.

int d; // elapsed time in days

The name d reveals nothing. It does not evoke a sense of elapsed time, nor of days. We should choose a name that specifies what is being measured and the unit of that measurement:

int elapsedTimeInDays;
int daysSinceCreation;
int daysSinceModification;
int fileAgeInDays;

Choosing names that reveal intent can make it much easier to understand and change
code. What is the purpose of this code?

public List<int[]> getThem() {
    List<int[]> list1 = new ArrayList<int[]>();
    for (int[] x : theList)
    if (x[0] == 4)
        list1.add(x);
    return list1;
}
  1. What kinds of things are in theList?
  2. What is the significance of the zeroth subscript of an item in theList?
  3. What is the significance of the value 4?
  4. How would I use the list being returned?

ewline">

The answers to these questions are not present in the code sample, but they could have
been. Say that we’re working in a mine sweeper game. We find that the board is a list of
cells called theList. Let’s rename that to gameBoard.
Each cell on the board is represented by a simple array. We further find that the zeroth
subscript is the location of a status value and that a status value of 4 means “flagged.” Just
by giving these concepts names we can improve the code considerably:

public List<int[]> getFlaggedCells() {
    List<int[]> flaggedCells = new ArrayList<int[]>();
    for (int[] cell : gameBoard)
    if (cell[STATUS_VALUE] == FLAGGED)
        flaggedCells.add(cell);
    return flaggedCells;
}

We can go further and write a simple class for cells instead of using an array of ints.
It can include an intention-revealing function (call it isFlagged) to hide the magic numbers. It results in a new version of the function:

public List<Cell> getFlaggedCells() {
    List<Cell> flaggedCells = new ArrayList<Cell>();
    for (Cell cell : gameBoard)
    if (cell.isFlagged())
        flaggedCells.add(cell);
    return flaggedCells;
}
4 Likes

Meaningful Names

• Make Meaningful Distinctions

Programmers create problems for themselves when they write code solely to satisfy a compiler or interpreter.

For example, because you can’t use the same name to refer to two different things in the same scope, you might be tempted to change one name in an arbitrary way. Sometimes this is done by misspelling one, leading to the surprising situation where correcting spelling errors leads to an inability to compile.

It is not sufficient to add number series or noise words, even though the compiler is satisfied. If names must be different, then they should also mean something different.

Number-series naming (a1, a2, … aN) is the opposite of intentional naming. Such
names are not disinformative—they are noninformative; they provide no clue to the
author’s intention. Consider:

public static void copyChars(char a1[], char a2[]) {
    for (int i = 0; i < a1.length; i++)   {
        a2[i] = a1[i];
    }
}

This function reads much better when source and destination are used for the argument names.
Noise words are another meaningless distinction. Imagine that you have a Product class. If you have another called ProductInfo or ProductData, you have made the names different without making them mean anything different. Info and Data are indistinct noise words like a, an, and the.

Noise words are redundant. The word variable should never appear in a variable name. The word table should never appear in a table name. How is NameString better than Name? Would a Name ever be a floating point number? If so, it breaks an earlier rule about disinformation. Imagine finding one class named Customer and another named CustomerObject. What should you understand as the distinction? Which one will represent the best path to a customer’s payment history?

There is an application we know of where this is illustrated. we’ve changed the names
to protect the guilty, but here’s the exact form of the error:

getActiveAccount();
getActiveAccounts();
getActiveAccountInfo();

How are the programmers in this project supposed to know which of these functions to call?

In the absence of specific conventions, the variable moneyAmount is indistinguishable from money, customerInfo is indistinguishable from customer, accountData is indistinguishable from account, and theMessage is indistinguishable from message. Distinguish names in such a way that the reader knows what the differences offer.

5 Likes

Meaningful Names

• Use Searchable Names

Single-letter names and numeric constants have a particular problem in that they are not easy to locate across a body of text.

One might easily grep for MAX_CLASSES_PER_STUDENT, but the number 7 could be more troublesome. Searches may turn up the digit as part of file names, other constant definitions, and in various expressions where the value is used with different intent. It is even worse when a constant is a long number and someone might have transposed digits, thereby creating a bug while simultaneously evading the programmer’s search.

Likewise, the name e is a poor choice for any variable for which a programmer might need to search. It is the most common letter in the English language and likely to show up in every passage of text in every program. In this regard, longer names trump shorter names, and any searchable name trumps a constant in code.

My personal preference is that single-letter names can ONLY be used as local variables inside short methods. The length of a name should correspond to the size of its scope. If a variable or constant might be seen or used in multiple places in a body of code, it is imperative to give it a search-friendly name.
Once again compare:

for (int j = 0; j < 34; j++)  {
    s += (t[j] * 4) / 5;
}

to

int realDaysPerIdealDay = 4;
const int WORK_DAYS_PER_WEEK = 5;
int sum = 0;
for (int j=0; j < NUMBER_OF_TASKS; j++) {
    int realTaskDays = taskEstimate[j] * realDaysPerIdealDay;
    int realTaskWeeks = (realdays / WORK_DAYS_PER_WEEK);
    sum += realTaskWeeks;
}

Note that sum, above, is not a particularly useful name but at least is searchable. The intentionally named code makes for a longer function, but consider how much easier it will be to find WORK_DAYS_PER_WEEK than to find all the places where 5 was used and filter the list down to just the instances with the intended meaning.

2 Likes

Meaningful Names

• Member prefixes

You also don’t need to prefix member variables with m_ anymore. Your classes and functions should be small enough that you don’t need them. And you should be using an editing environment that highlights or colorizes members to make them distinct.

public class Part {
    private String m_dsc; // The textual description

void setName(String name) {
        m_dsc = name;
    }
}

public class Part {
    String description;

void setDescription(String description) {
        this.description = description;
    }
}

Besides, people quickly learn to ignore the prefix (or suffix) to see the meaningful part of the name. The more we read the code, the less we see the prefixes. Eventually the prefixes become unseen clutter and a marker of older code.

• Interfaces and Implementations

These are sometimes a special case for encodings. For example, say you are building an ABSTRACT FACTORY for the creation of shapes. This factory will be an interface and will be implemented by a concrete class. What should you name them? IShapeFactory and ShapeFactory? I prefer to leave interfaces unadorned. The preceding I, so common in today’s legacy wads, is a distraction at best and too much information at worst. I don’t want my users knowing that I’m handing them an interface. I just want them to know that it’s a ShapeFactory. So if I must encode either the interface or the implementation, I choose the implementation. Calling it ShapeFactoryImp, or even the hideous CShapeFactory, is preferable to encoding the interface.

2 Likes

Meaningful Names

• Class Names

Classes and objects should have noun or noun phrase names like Customer , WikiPage , Account , and AddressParser . Avoid words like Manager , Processor , Data , or Info in the name of a class. A class name should not be a verb.

• Method Names

Methods should have verb or verb phrase names like postPayment , deletePage , or saveAccessors, mutators, and predicates should be named for their value and prefixed with get, set , and is according to the javabean standard.

string name = employee.getName();
customer.setName("mike");
if (paycheck.isPosted())...

When constructors are overloaded, use static factory methods with names that describe the arguments. For example:

Complex fulcrumPoint = Complex.FromRealNumber(23.0);

is generally better than

Complex fulcrumPoint = new Complex(23.0);

Consider enforcing their use by making the corresponding constructors private.

1 Like

Meaningful Names

• Add Meaningful Context

There are a few names which are meaningful in and of themselves—most are not. Instead, you need to place names in context for your reader by enclosing them in well-named classes, functions, or namespaces. When all else fails, then prefixing the name may be necessary as a last resort.

Imagine that you have variables named firstName, lastName, street, houseNumber, city, state, and zipcode. Taken together it’s pretty clear that they form an address. But what if you just saw the state variable being used alone in a method? Would you automatically infer that it was part of an address?

You can add context by using prefixes: addrFirstName, addrLastName, addrState, and so on. At least readers will understand that these variables are part of a larger structure. Of course, a better solution is to create a class named Address. Then, even the compiler knows that the variables belong to a bigger concept.

Listing 2-1
Variables with unclear context.

private void printGuessStatistics(char candidate, int count) {
    String number;
    String verb;
    String pluralModifier;
    if (count == 0) {
        number = "no";
        verb = "are";
        pluralModifier = "s";
    } else if (count == 1) {
        number = "1";
        verb = "is";
        pluralModifier = "";
    } else {
        number = Integer.toString(count);
        verb = "are";
        pluralModifier = "s";
    }
    String guessMessage = String.format(
        "There %s %s %s%s", verb, number, candidate, pluralModifier
    );
    print(guessMessage);
}

The function is a bit too long and the variables are used throughout. To split the function into smaller pieces we need to create a GuessStatisticsMessage class and make the three variables fields of this class. This provides a clear context for the three variables. They are definitively part of the GuessStatisticsMessage. The improvement of context also allows the algorithm to be made much cleaner by breaking it into many smaller functions. (See Listing 2-2.)

Listing 2-2
Variables have a context.

public class GuessStatisticsMessage {
    private String number;
    private String verb;
    private String pluralModifier;
    public String make(char candidate, int count) {
        createPluralDependentMessageParts(count);
        return String.format(
        "There %s %s %s%s", verb, number, candidate, pluralModifier 
        );
    }
    private void createPluralDependentMessageParts(int count) {
        if (count == 0) {
            thereAreNoLetters();
        } else if (count == 1) {
            thereIsOneLetter();
        } else {
            thereAreManyLetters(count);
        }
    }
    private void thereAreManyLetters(int count) {
        number = Integer.toString(count);
        verb = "are";
        pluralModifier = "s";
    }
    private void thereIsOneLetter() {
        number = "1";
        verb = "is";
        pluralModifier = "";
    }
    private void thereAreNoLetters() {
        number = "no";
        verb = "are";
        pluralModifier = "s";
    }
}
1 Like

Function

• Small!

The first rule of functions is that they should be small. The second rule of functions is that
they should be smaller than that.

This is not an assertion that I can justify. I can’t provide any references to research that shows that very small functions are better. What I can tell you is that for nearly four decades I have written functions of all different sizes. I’ve written several nasty 3,000-line abominations. I’ve written scads of functions in the 100 to 300 line range. And I’ve written functions that were 20 to 30 lines long. What this experience has taught me, through long trial and error, is that functions should be very small.

In the eighties we used to say that a function should be no bigger than a screen-full. Of course we said that at a time when VT100 screens were 24 lines by 80 columns, and our editors used 4 lines for administrative purposes. Nowadays with a cranked-down font and a nice big monitor, you can fit 150 characters on a line and a 100 lines or more on a screen. Lines should not be 150 characters long. Functions should not be 100 lines long. Functions should hardly ever be 20 lines long.

How short should a function be?

In 1999 I went to visit Kent Beck at his home in Oregon. We sat down and did some programming together. At one point he showed me a cute little Java/Swing program that he called Sparkle. It produced a visual effect on the screen very similar to the magic wand of the fairy godmother in the movie Cinderella. As you moved the mouse, the sparkles would drip from the cursor with a satisfying scintillation,
falling to the bottom of the window through a simulated gravitational field. When Kent showed me the code, I was struck by how small all the functions were. I was used to functions in Swing programs that took up miles of vertical space. Every function in this program was just two, or three, or four lines long. Each was transparently obvious. Each told a story. And each led you to the next in a compelling order. That’s how short your functions should be!

How short should your functions be?

Listing 3-3
HtmlUtil.java (re-refactored)

public static String renderPageWithSetupsAndTeardowns (PageData pageData, boolean isSuite)
throws Exception {
    if (isTestPage(pageData))
        includeSetupAndTeardownPages(pageData, isSuite);
    return pageData.getHtml();
}
1 Like

Function

• Do One Thing

FUNCTIONS SHOULD DO ONE THING. THEY SHOULD DO IT WELL.
THEY SHOULD DO IT ONLY.

The problem with this statement is that it is hard to know what “one thing” is. Does Listing 3-3 do one thing? It’s easy to make the case that it’s doing three things:

1. Determining whether the page is a test page.
  2. If so, including setups and teardowns.
  3. Rendering the page in HTML.
    So which is it? Is the function doing one thing or three things? Notice that the three steps of the function are one level of abstraction below the stated name of the function. We can describe the function by describing it as a brief TO paragraph:

TO RenderPageWithSetupsAndTeardowns, we check to see whether the page is a test page
and if so, we include the setups and teardowns. In either case we render the page in
HTML.

If a function does only those steps that are one level below the stated name of the
function, then the function is doing one thing. After all, the reason we write functions is to
decompose a larger concept (in other words, the name of the function) into a set of steps at
the next level of abstraction.
Very hard to meaningfully shrink Listing 3-3. We could extract the if statement into a function named
includeSetupsAndTeardownsIfTestPage, but that simply restates the code without changing the level of abstraction.

So, another way to know that a function is doing more than “one thing” is if you can extract another function from it with a name that is not merely a restatement of its implementation.

2 Likes

Function

• Reading Code from Top to Bottom: The Stepdown Rule

We want the code to read like a top-down narrative. We want every function to be followed by those at the next level of abstraction so that we can read the program, descending one level of abstraction at a time as we read down the list of functions. I call this The Stepdown Rule.

To say this differently, we want to be able to read the program as though it were a set of TO paragraphs, each of which is describing the current level of abstraction and referencing subsequent TO paragraphs at the next level down.

To include the setups and teardowns, we include setups, then we include the test page content, and then we include the teardowns.
To include the setups, we include the suite setup if this is a suite, then we include the regular setup.
To include the suite setup, we search the parent hierarchy for the “SuiteSetUp” page and add an include statement with the path of that page.
To search the parent. . .

It turns out to be very difficult for programmers to learn to follow this rule and write functions that stay at a single level of abstraction. But learning this trick is also very important. It is the key to keeping functions short and making sure they do “one thing.” Making the code read like a top-down set of TO paragraphs is an effective technique for keeping the abstraction level consistent.

2 Likes

Function

• Switch Statements

It’s hard to make a small switch statement.Even a switch statement with only two cases is larger than I’d like a single block or function to be. It’s also hard to make a switch statement that does one thing. By their nature, switch statements always do N things.

Unfortunately we can’t always avoid switch statements, but we can make sure that each switch
statement is buried in a low-level class and is never repeated. We do this, of course, with polymorphism.

Consider Listing 3-4. It shows just one of the operations that might depend on the
type of employee.

public Money calculatePay(Employee e) throws InvalidEmployeeType {
    switch (e.type) {
    case COMMISSIONED:
        return calculateCommissionedPay(e);
    case HOURLY:
        return calculateHourlyPay(e);
    case SALARIED:
        return calculateSalariedPay(e);
    default:
        throw new InvalidEmployeeType(e.type);
    }
}

There are several problems with this function. First, it’s large, and when new employee types are added, it will grow. Second, it very clearly does more than one thing. Third, it violates the Single Responsibility Principle7 (SRP) because there is more than one reason for it to change. Fourth, it violates the Open Closed Principle8 (OCP) because it must change whenever new types are added. But possibly the worst problem with this function is that there are an unlimited number of other functions that will have the same structure.
For example we could have

isPayday(Employee e, Date date)

or

deliverPay(Employee e, Money pay)

or a host of others. All of which would have the same deleterious structure.
The solution to this problem (see Listing 3-5) is to bury the switch statement in the basement of an ABSTRACT FACTORY, and never let anyone see it.
The factory will use the switch statement to create appropriate instances of the derivatives of Employee, and the various functions, such as calculatePay, isPayday, and deliverPay, will be dispatched polymorphically through the Employee interface.

My general rule for switch statements is that they can be tolerated if they appear only once, are used to create polymorphic objects, and are hidden behind an inheritance

public abstract class Employee {
    public abstract boolean isPayday();
    public abstract Money calculatePay();
    public abstract void deliverPay(Money pay);
}
-----------------
public interface EmployeeFactory {
    public Employee makeEmployee(EmployeeRecord r) throws InvalidEmployeeType;
}
-----------------
public class EmployeeFactoryImpl implements EmployeeFactory {
    public Employee makeEmployee(EmployeeRecord r) throws InvalidEmployeeType {
        switch (r.type) {
        case COMMISSIONED:
            return new CommissionedEmployee(r) ;
        case HOURLY:
            return new HourlyEmployee(r);
        case SALARIED:
            return new SalariedEmploye(r);
        default:
            throw new InvalidEmployeeType(r.type);
        }
    }
}
3 Likes

Function

• Function arguments

The ideal number of arguments for a function is zero (niladic). Next comes one (monadic), followed closely by two (dyadic). Three arguments (triadic) should be avoided where possible. More than three (polyadic) requires very special justification—and then shouldn’t be used anyway.

Arguments are hard. They take a lot of conceptual power. That’s why I got rid of almost all of them from the example. Consider, for instance, the StringBuffer in the example. We could have passed it around as an argument rather than making it an instance variable, but then our readers would have had to interpret it each time they saw it. When you are reading the story told by the module, includeSetupPage() is easier to understand than includeSetupPageInto(newPageContent). The argument is at a different level of abstraction than the function name and forces you to know a detail (in other words, StringBuffer) that isn’t particularly important at that point.

Arguments are even harder from a testing point of view. Imagine the difficulty of writing all the test cases to ensure that all the various combinations of arguments work properly. If there are no arguments, this is trivial. If there’s one argument, it’s not too hard. With two arguments the problem gets a bit more challenging. With more than two arguments, testing every combination of appropriate values can be daunting.

Output arguments are harder to understand than input arguments. When we read a function, we are used to the idea of information going in to the function through arguments and out through the return value. We don’t usually expect information to be going out through the arguments. So output arguments often cause us to do a double-take.

One input argument is the next best thing to no arguments. SetupTeardownIncluder.render(pageData) is pretty easy to understand. Clearly we are going to render the data in the pageData object.

2 Likes

Function

• Flag arguments

Flag arguments are ugly. Passing a boolean into a function is a truly terrible practice. It immediately complicates the signature of the method, loudly proclaiming that this function does more than one thing. It does one thing if the flag is true and another if the flag is false!

The method call render(true) is just plain confusing to a poor reader. Mousing over the call and seeing render(boolean isSuite) helps a little, but not that much. We should have split the function into two:

renderForSuite();

and

renderForSingleTest();

Function

• Argument Objects

When a function seems to need more than two or three arguments, it is likely that some of those arguments ought to be wrapped into a class of their own. Consider, for example, the difference between the two following declarations:

Circle makeCircle(double x, double y, double radius);
Circle makeCircle(Point center, double radius);

Reducing the number of arguments by creating objects out of them may seem like cheating, but it’s not. When groups of variables are passed together, the way x and y are in the example above, they are likely part of a concept that deserves a name of its own.

• Argument Lists

Sometimes we want to pass a variable number of arguments into a function.
Consider, for example, the String.format method:

String.format("%s worked %.2f hours.", name, hours);

If the variable arguments are all treated identically, as they are in the example above, then they are equivalent to a single argument of type List. By that reasoning, String.format is actually dyadic. Indeed, the declaration of String.format as shown below is clearly dyadic.

public String format(String format, Object... args)

So all the same rules apply. Functions that take variable arguments can be monads, dyads, or even triads. But it would be a mistake to give them more arguments than that.

void monad(Integer... args);
void dyad(String name, Integer... args);
void triad(String name, int count, Integer... args);
  • Verbs and Keywords

Choosing good names for a function can go a long way toward explaining the intent of the function and the order and intent of the arguments. In the case of a monad, the function and argument should form a very nice verb/noun pair. For example, write(name) is very evocative. Whatever this “name” thing is, it is being “written.” An even better name might be ***writeField(name)***, which tells us that the “name” thing is a “field.”

This last is an example of the keyword form of a function name. Using this form we encode the names of the arguments into the function name. For example, assertEquals might be better written as ***assertExpectedEqualsActual(expected, actual)***. This strongly mitigates the problem of having to remember the ordering of the arguments.

2 Likes
83% thành viên diễn đàn không hỏi bài tập, còn bạn thì sao?